Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Red Lion Grog House

This week we went to Red Lion Grog House in Fountain Square. According to our waiter, they have only been in business for a little over a month. The Red Lion promised the "very best in Ole' English cuisine," and I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed.

As always, we started with a couple of
appetizers. We went with Chips and Curry Sauce, Spicy Fried Shrimp, and a Banger, which I found out was a sausage. All very good. Aaron and Laura really enjoyed the Spicy Fried Shrimp.

The appetizers came quickly, but we were waiting a while for our main dishes. Later to find out Tuesdays are usually slow days, so they only had one cook in the kitchen. They made up for it (more on that in a minute).

Because we were eating English cuisine, I decided to go with the Fish and Chips, because what is more English than that? Oddly enough, Beth, Wyatt, and Laura also got the Fish and Chips. I was very happy with my decision.

Other dishes were Shepherd’s Pie, Chicken Pot Pie, and Stuffed Portobello. I wish I would have asked everyone how they liked their foods, but I was too busy eating and enjoying mine. Like most places, the conversation slowed when the food came, which leads me to believe everyone like theirs.

Like I mentioned earlier, the food came out of the kitchen a little slower than we would have liked. Our waiter came and explained the problem, and asked for forgiveness. I guess we looked like we wouldn't give it, so he brought out two brownies with ice cream and a home-made espresso sauce, on the house! Delicious!

I would give them a good grade, but what really set this place over the top, was my to-go order. Ashley was not able to join us because she had to work. So I ordered her a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich. Not only did they keep everything separate so the bun wouldn't get soggy, they put all the toppings for her salad in separate containers! Very unexpected.

The Red Lion also won't break your bank. The most expensive plate was $12.99. Everything was very reasonably priced. All-in-all, it was a fun evening, with good food and friends. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Red Lion Grog House on Urbanspoon

Urbanspoon rocks!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good place to eat. The fish and chips are delicious and the home-made chicken pot pie is to die for. Pints and bottle wine was 1/2 price and we had a very good Scotch Egg as an appetizer.

    ReplyDelete